Skip to main content

tv   CBS2 News Live at 5  CBS  January 8, 2016 5:00pm-5:30pm CST

5:00 pm
its beenenore than seven years since record high floodwaters washed away much of cedar rapids.to make sure that never happens again - the city crafted a long-term construction plan for a flood control stem. system.cbs 2 news reporter steffi lee is live at newbo district to bring us up to speed with where the city is now on the project. the city says here at newbo and the sinclair area - both are low lying sites where high waters require a lot of manual labor to stop. stop.the sinclair site is the land of a former meatpackinin plant.city crews already started clearing out that area to pave way for a new levee section, pumps and walls.flood control program manager rob davis says it will expand from the abandoned railroad bridge up until the african american museuml.davis calls it an
5:01 pm
construction is another milestone for the city.it will be a two year process. "the newbo area area sits s lower than most areas and we can provide some immediate flood protection there. we don't really see it but in 2014 - we had some high watete, and weweut these cone sections up and we put these sandbags around them,." them,."davis says they want these pumps and walls will be more efficient than having people out stacking sandbags the day before high waters are expected.covering the corridor in cedar rapids, steffi lee, cbs 2 news, live at five. new tonight at five, mexican drug lord el chapo has been caught. armed forces in mexico had been searching for the cartel kingpin for the lastix months - ever since he escaped maximum security prison. authorities say he was taken after a shootout with mexican marines. five people died in
5:02 pm
police custody.he was not hurt. an ambush on a philadelphia police officer is being investigated as a hit. the officer was shot several times last night and officials now y it was an attempted execution. officer jessie hartnett was patroling a neighborhood when the suspect began firing into the driverside window at close range.officer hartnett survived the shooting and returned fire, hitting the attacker. sources tell cbs news the suspect admitted to opening fire in the name of isis. in boston, an officer is recovering after being shot in the leg. the police department says the officer was conducting a drug investigation on a gang member when he was shot. officers caught the suspect near where the shooting happened. neighbors say they were shocked when they heard nshots, saying the area is usually quiet. president obama says he cannot support a candidate who
5:03 pm
he discussed the violence during a town hall last night. the president's executive actitis have angered a a number of gun lobbyists, who believe he's trying to get rid of guns completely.he was peppered with tough questions including one from the we of the so- called "american sniper." "b"bthe very nature of the people who are hurting our families a& i don't think any of them would've been stopped by background checks." she added that she wants the freedom to carry a gun for r r safety. the president responded by saying law- abiding citizens like her can still legally buy guns. two men are in federal custody, accused of having ties to terrorist groups.one suspect was arrested in california, and is beleived to have fought for isisn syria before returning to the u-s last january.the other suspect was caught in texas.he's accused of providing support
5:04 pm
refugees, and allegedly mmunicated with each other over social media.federal authorities do not believe the men were plotting an attack on u.s. soil. an annotated version of adolf hitler's notorious nifesto manifestowent on sale in germany today for the first war two. the 70 year copyright on mein kampf, meaning "my struggle," expired january 1st, and has been reprinted amid strong criticism. the book hadn't been published out of respect for victims of the nazis but publishers say the printingng offers crucial context that sheds light on a horrific past. the book sells for about 65-dollars. goododews fofothe u-s economy today. the december jobs report came in with positive hiring numbers. my colleague scott sanborn joins us now, with this follow up, scott? karen - experts say the
5:05 pm
employers hired nearly 300-thousand people last month, which keeps the national unemployment rate at 5-percent. investors had been hoping for this positive news amid economic turmoil overseas. as i told you yesterday, china's turbulent stock market made investors here at home uneasy. whenenhe dow jones closed yesterday, the market was down nearly 400-points.today, the market *opened with positive numbers--however, it just closed down 167 points. but business analysts say they've been waiting for some sort of a down turn. "it's been almost seven years since the bottom of the u.s. mark@t, and we're overdue for a correction." correction."today's jobs report means the u-s added a total of two-point-65 million jobs last year. that's the second best year on the record books behind 1999. president obama has vetoed
5:06 pm
repealed his signature health care law lawand cut funding from planned parenthood. we told you yesterday, live at five, the g-o-p led congress voted to repeal the measures that have been law since 2010. the veto was expected and congngss does not seememto have the votes to override it. republicans say this shows their ability to repeal the healthcare law if a republan wins the presidency. iowa senator jonini ernst says she will continue to fight the affordable care act and redirect funds for planned parenthood. coming up on live at 5...a silent threat is the second leadinincause of lung cancer in iowa.and it's worse in winter months. months.meanwhile, this is as commuters head home on this beautifufunight in the corridor. let's check in
tv-commercial tv-commercial
5:07 pm
america is not just electing a president, we're also electing a commander in chief. that choice matters. because strengthening the economy, making healthcare more affordable, raising incomes.
tv-commercial tv-commercial
5:08 pm
and leading the world. i will get up every single day and do whatever it takes to make sure our country is safe and strong. i'm hillary clinton and i approve this message. in the middle a time when senior poverty is increasing. republicans and some democrats came up with a brilliant idea for cutting cost-of-living adjustments for social security. we said, "it will be over our dead bodies if you cut social securi."
5:09 pm
to extend the solvency of social security and expand benefits for people who desperately need them. i'm bernie sanders, and i approve thth message. start your week with us on on monday..there's a nation-wide mpaign to raise e awareness about a hidden danger, that you might have laying around in your home. home.how parents are getting the word out, to keep young children safe.that's monday on
5:10 pm
january y "radon action month" in iowa.governor branstad signed the proclamation that's raising awareness. awareness.cbs 2 news reporter mellaney moore spoko to local experts today todayabout what radon is and what you can do about it, mellaney? mellaney?radon is a gas that comes from the ground. the state's department of public health says the gas causes no immediate health mptoms, but long-term exexsure may cause lung cancer. cancer.the naturally occurring, radioactive gas is odorless, colorless and tasteless.the united states environmental protection agency says five out of seven homes in iowa have radon
5:11 pm
local certified tester told us today a measurement above four picocuries per liter is considered unsafe.mitigating the gas uses a system of fans and p-v-c pipes push back on the radon trying to enter through cracks in your home. it's different for every single property. one house can check high the other house right next to it can checkck lolo you have to test to find out. out.if you would like to learn more about radon gas there is information online and a hotline number provided by the department of pupuic health.if u would like that information we have it on our website, cbs 2 iowa dot com. com. how expensive is it to test for it?you can have it done professionally or some kits cost less than $20. there is backlash today on a story we brought you on live d- at five yesterday. yesterday.we told you about new dietary guidelines fromom the e government - that affect everything from food labeling
5:12 pm
program.now - some experts are suggesting that pressure from the foodindury influenced the report.e guidelines call for limits on sugar and saturated fats - and they no longer say to avoid cholesterol foods like eggs. one doctor says the report is flawed because some of the research wasasfunded by food distributors themselves. "the egg industry is paying universities where these people are, then putting them on the committee to decide whether r gs are safe or not. that's a conflict of interest." interest."dr- barn-hard is the president of the non-profit physicians committee for responsible medicine.the government says the guideline process reflects "an advancement in scientific understanding about healthy eating choices and health outcomes over a lifetime. turns out rules and guidelines can *help your little one. pediatricians say getting rest at night is critical for toddlers to replenish and
5:13 pm
the next day of activities. between talking, playing, and learning - getting them to slow down is not a simple task. doctors say to remember the four-b's when it comes to a bedtime routine. "so routines are really important so starting with bathing and having that bath time that allow them to settle down. and then, brushing their teeth and then they start to think ok bath then bshing. and then, bedtdte and story time, it's really important to have a nice calming activity like reading a book together and then there's bedtime." bedtime."establishing a good bedtime routine now sets an important precedent for r future health.doctors say it may take a while - behavior modification doesn't happen overnight - but it's worth the payo^f in the end. still ahead live at five... the spirit of giving. a local muslim leader's gift to his christian community that continues to inspire, even
5:14 pm
this is a a ve ok at there's more news ahead when live at 5 continues on cbs 2.
5:15 pm
a cbs 2 news follow up for you now...last month, we told you the salvation army was coming up short on donations. but
5:16 pm
unlikelylysource- and now, we're hearing this new years to come. cbs 2 news reporter joy howe is here with more. every year, the salvation army in cedar rapids hands out toys for parents to put under the tree for the kids at christmas. but when we told you there was a shortage of funds, a muslim leader in our community stepped up to help by setting up a go-fund-me page. he said *his religion's message was the same as the salvation army's - help others by showing them love. they didn't raise the 30-thousand dollars,s, but they did for a new partnership. ((nats))every year, the salvation army hands out love. sometimes it's in the form of toys for kids whose parents need a little help filling up stockings. other times, it's footing a heating bill. but it's always love - and that's what imam hassan mahmoud saw when he heard hey were coming up short for their goals this yeararhe set up a website, asking his fellow muslims,
tv-commercial
5:17 pm
community, to help, saying love translates throughout *all religion. hassan: 01.49.0909hey're doing good work and that's why it's important for us and other people to help us as welllia ponterelli with the salvation army says their new friends have shown *them love in a brand new way. owing that our mission connects with his mission. that we're here to serve our community with love, without idiscrimination it's wonderful that people realize that's who we are and what we're doing. 01013.52.14 hassan wanted to raise the 30- thousand the salvation army was short. they didn't reach that goal, but they did raise enough to help 19 families this winter with heating and rent bills. are they christstns? who knows. are they muslim? these groups don't care. they say what matters, is they know they're loved. lia: 01.47.57 he said within the next two years, he'll have that 30,0000he's very hopeful for that. hopefully year after year, we will reach this goal 01.51.09.03lia: 01.48.02 we're
5:18 pm
partnership and relationship with himhis wife and his community that they bring with them and look forard to the many possibilities in the future there are for us you can still help the salvation army. their christmas giving season is thorugh january 31st, and of course, they acept donations year-round. year-round.there are *so many ways to donate - and you can find more, on our website.and hassan "here's a live look a& terrrrwill have your final forecast when live at 5 comes back. "cbs 2 news connects with the corridor.call us -- 1-800- 222-kgancall us -- 1-800- 222-kganemail us s - news @ cbs2iowa.comconnect with us on facebook -- facebook.com/
5:19 pm
tonight on the cbs evening news:wanted --o morenew details on the raid that captured escaped drug kingpipi el chcho again. mexico special forces recovered him, but can
5:20 pm
see an isis inspired gunman's attempt to assassinate a police officer and, steve hartman...on the road...with a pint-sized weightlifter with olympic sizedreams. tonight on the cbs evening news. and now a final look at your forecast. forecast. that's cbs 2 news live at 5 thth . coverage ntinues now
5:21 pm
the top stories across the you got people working incredibly long hours. median family income today -- $4,000 less than it was in 1999. the bottom le of this economy is that it is rigged. what this campaign is about is to demand that we create an economy that works for all of us rather than a handful of billionaires. if you work 40 hours a week in america, you should not live in poverty.
5:22 pm
on average, it takes three hundrev americans working for a solid year, to make as much money as one top ceo. it's called the wage gap. and the republicans will make it worse by lowering taxes for those at the top and letting corporations write theiown rules. hilllly clinton will work to close the wage g g. equal pay for women to raise incomes for families, a higher minimum wage, lower taxes for the middle class. she gets the job done for us.
tv-commercial
5:23 pm
>> rose: they got him. the most wanted drug lord in the world wanted no more. also tonight -- >> i'm shot. >> rose: a philadelphiaa cop ambushed by aa gunman inspired by isis. >> that is chilling, absolutely chilling when you watch that. >> rose: a grandmother gives birth to a granddaughter. >> they pulled her little head out, and thatt was the most amazing thing i've ever seen in my life. >> rose: and steve hartman with the most efficient power source we have ever seen. captptning sponsored by cbs this is the "cbs evening news" with scott pelley. >> rose: good evening. scott is off tonight. i'm charlie rose. the drug lord known as "el chapo" was captured today six months after he broke out of a mexican prison for the second time. joaquin guzman, once the most powerful drug kin pin if the
tv-commercial
5:24 pm
shoot-out with mexican marines.
5:25 pm